Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"I seen that" is never, ever, ever an acceptable sentence

The first time I remember hearing this sentence was while working in a certain city....where I heard it a LOT.  These were college educated people working in a business setting.  I stopped trying to correct anyone because they all seemed to have forgotten what they learned in school and just gave me blank stares.  (I suppose it was also because it's kinda bitchy to correct people's grammar all the time!)

I left that job several years ago and the offensive sentence seems to have followed me.  There was even an instance that my own husband seemed to have uttered these words although he swears we just didn't hear the 'have', as in 'I have seen that'.  It's still up for debate. 

You are welcome to use the phrases "I have seen..." or "I had seen...", but do NOT under any circumstances leave out these verbs.  Seen is the past participle of the word See.   The past participle is used generally as an adjective describing a finished action.   The word Seen NEEDS its verb!  I don't require that you remember all of the rules, just that you say it correctly to save me from the evil chills that run down my spine when the wrong words are uttered.

No comments:

Post a Comment