The basic definition of Literally is: actually, without exaggeration. So why oh why do people continue to use it to embellish what they are saying? When you say "I literally..." it means you are describing something EXACTLY as it happened. You are being LITERAL!
Let's see if you can identify the sentences where it is used correctly.
1. I laughed so hard that I literally wet my pants.
2. I literally dropped dead when I heard.
3. She literally ate the whole cake.
4. He was literally flying down the road.
#1. DID you actually pee in your pants? If so, then it's correct. If you just laughed really hard and no urine was passed, then No, not correct usage!
#2 If you literally dropped dead, then how are you speaking? Not correct.
#3 This one kind of depends on your friend. Or the size of the cake. Did she really eat the whole thing, every last crumb? Then: Correct. Did she just eat a whole lot of it and you're angry that you didn't get enough? Then: probably incorrect, and you need to get over it.
#4 Was he in a plane? Did he sprout wings? No? Then, Incorrect. But he should probably slow down.
No comments:
Post a Comment