Now most of you were probably not lucky enough to have the correct usage beaten into you. In my family we were just that fortunate! Ok, so maybe we weren't beaten, but it sure felt like a blow every time you were corrected. Of course I continued down that path and correct others everywhere I go...I can only blame it on my grammatically correct parents. Darn you Educated Monsters!!!
So here it is:
Good is an adjective. It is used to modify a noun.
Well is an adverb. It is used to modify verbs.
Get it?
No?
Here's the easy way to remember. A THING is good. An ACTION is done well.
The dog is good. That is a good painting. The pasta is good. What a good steak.
The boy paints well. She speaks well. The team played well.
Now there are some other confusing rules dealing with linking verbs, but I don't think I'm going to overwhelm you with that today. Lets just practice the basics!
Have a GOOD day!! Be WELL!
No comments:
Post a Comment